Code Enforcement/Building Inspection/Zoning Administrator
The Building Inspector will be out of town from October 17 till October 24. The Building Department will be open from 2pm till 6pm on October 19 to Accept Permit Applications Only. Please plan accordingly.
The Office of Code Enforcement and Building Inspector has the responsibility for applying and enforcing all relevant town zoning and town codes, as well as enforcing the various building codes of the State of New York. The office a part-time office and you are encouraged to contact Trevor Gilday to schedule an appointment.
PLEASE NOTE – you are responsible to obtain a building permit BEFORE undertaking any construction or demolition covered by either NYS Building Codes or Town Codes. If you are unsure if a permit is needed please contact this office.
Please refer to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of the town web page for guidance relative to the need for permits, sub dividing property, septic systems, etc.
The Building Inspector has the responsibility and requirement to perform the inspections listed below, but the applicant must notify the Building Inspector for the inspections:
1. Foundation Footings BEFORE the pouring of concrete.
2. Foundation BEFORE backfill
3. Septic System BEFORE backfill. Be sure there is adequate water to test the level of the distribution box.
4. Plumbing, heating, framing and electrical BEFORE closing in framework. Electrical inspections are conducted by a third party inspector.
5. Prior to any occupancy, final inspection for Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required. BEFORE residing in the dwelling a CO must be obtained, there are no exceptions.
- Issuance of Building Permits and subsequent inspections
- Septic Inspections and Septic Permits
- Review of applcations filed before the
- Zoning Board and Planning Board
- Galway Code compliance activities
The Town of Galway Building Inspector/Code Enforcement office is a part-time office. The office is open on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. or by appointment. It is advisable to contact the office ahead before coming to Town Hall, in case of a last minute schedule change.
Arranging for inspections: Applicants are responsible for scheduling required inspection(s). Permission to schedule inspections can be given to the contractors, however, failure to request any required inspection can/may prevent the issuance of the required Certificate of Occupancy.
Inspections can be arranged by calling Treavor at 518-514-8012 or by call the Code Enforcement Office at 518-882-6070. Inspections cannot usually be done the same day they are requested.